Material master is one of the basic elements to be able to run order to cash and procure to pay functions within SAP. Though materials are usually loaded using LSMW at the time of cut-over, in this article we will see how we can create materials manually. This is attained by transaction code MM01.
To be able to create a material, we must know the following aspects so that we can extend the material to correct sales area and plants. We must also know what kind of material are we creating. For example, a service material will not have stock. Trading goods are not manufactured and Packing materials are only used for shipping and handling.
- Relevant Sales organizations, division, and plant
- Unit of measures
- Language wise text description of the material
For example we can create a material named as “Final good” using MM01 and we can assign this material to two different sales organization’s i.e. in our example we are using two sales areas 1000, 1020 and assigning this material to both the sales areas and we can give unit of measure to a material such as pieces(PC) etc.
Step by Step demonstration on creating material master
Having understood what goes on in creating material within SAP, lets look at the steps involved in this process. In this example, we are going to create a material called “final good”.
#Step 1: Launch the material creation transaction code
- In the SD Master Data Screen enter transaction code:: MM01
#Step 2: Select Industry sector and Material type
- Select industry sector and material type from a drop-down and click on enter.
- In our example, Industry sector is food and related products, and material type is trading goods.
- Select basic data 1 from a pop up window. Click on it.
#Step 3: Entering basic data of a material
- In basic data 1 screen material no. will be automatically generated.
- Enter the basic details of material like description, unit of measure, material group, and division.
- In the below example we have chosen material description as final good, a unit of measure as piece (pc), material group as 015, and division as 05.
#Step 4: Entering sales organization details
- Next, maintain the sales are data in sales org. 1 tab
- A pop-up window will appear. Enter plant, sales org., and distribution channel or Select from a drop-down.
- In the below screenshot, a plant is 1200, sales org. is 1000, and distr. Channel is 01.
- If the material is a taxable item we can maintain that information which is shown in below screenshot.
- We can maintain tax information country level.
- In the below screenshot tax information is maintained for two countries (Germany and Italy).
#Step 5: Maintain the plant details in the General/plant tab.
- Next, maintain the plant details in the General/plant tab.
- Enter the availability check, trans. grp, loading grp from the drop-down which is shown in below screenshot.
#Step 6: Adding additional information of a material
We can add the different types of text information of a material in “additional Data”. We can maintain text information in multiple languages.
#Step 7: Adding a material description
- Maintain the description of the material in basic data text in different languages which are shown in the below screenshot.
- In the example, Material description is maintained in English(EN) and Spanish (ES).
- Different text can be maintained in SAP like Internal comment and Inspection text.
- In order to add comment select internal comment and write the comment over there. In our case, the comment is “This product is very useful”.
- To save the material, click on save button then the material will be created in SAP. Which is shown in the below screenshot.
#Step 8: Maintaining material under different sales areas
- We can maintain material under different sales areas. In order to maintain follow the below steps.
- Enter MM01 tcode in SD Master Data Screen.
- Enter the material no., industry sector, material type and click on enter.
- Select sales: sales org data1 from a pop-up window and click on tick mark.
- Now enter another sales area which you want in the popup window. In our example we are entering another sales area i.e. plant is 1200, sales org 1020, and distr. Channel 20. Click on tick mark.
#Step 9: Adding tax details
- Enter tax data in the below screen. Click on Save. Thus we can assign another sales area for this material.
With the above steps, we have successfully created a material record within SAP.
Database table to check Material Master within SAP
- In order to check whether sales areas are assigned to the material properly or not.
- Enter transaction code SE16 in SD master data screen.
- Go to MVKE
- Enter material number in MATNR field. In the example material no. is 2064 and click on execute symbol.
- In the below screen you can see all the sales areas assigned to that particular material.
Who we are
We are passionate about SAP consulting and executing SAP Integration projects. Reach out to us for a free assessment of your SAP needs.