SugarCRM is commercial and licenses based customer relationship management software and it is available in different editions like Enterprise and Ultimate. It is more than enough to run a medium to enterprise business. Every business has a different role hierarchy depending on the business requirement, in SugarCRM we can create a role that achieves the business requirement. It helps to establish permission and layout for the role.
SugarCRM role management and layouts are the linked process for creating custom layouts in SugarCRM, Role management has a robust security module by using which we can control the access level of a module including standard and custom modules in SugarCRM. In SugarCRM, layouts are created by default with Role management and we can set role-based layouts for different records view for the manager’s sales and customer support role.
Learn about our SugarCRM Customization Services and discover what sets us apart.
In this article, we will see different types of permission in Sugar and how to customize layouts for a particular role or group of users.
Different Permission Levels
SugarCRM provides a robust security module in role management. we can set permissions for modules and fields accessed by users to that role. An administrator has only create roles and allow permissions based on the role, Roles manage various layers of actions and access for users within SugarCRM following are the permissions types
- Team-Based or Record-Level
Module Level Permission
Sugar module-level permission provides access to modules using a role chart, an admin will configure the permission based on the role and organization requirements. The following are the steps to configure permission
- Click admin panel form from the profile drop-down
- Navigate to Role management as shown in below screenshot
- Select a role you want to define module permission or you can also create a new role as per requirement, here we are using existing role call “Sales West”
- The following screenshot shows access types in role chart in Role Management
- By select drop-down, we can assign permission to modules
Team-Based or Record Level Permission
Teams-based level permission in Sugar is used to define permission for a group of users by enabling “Team-based permission”. An administrator has access to enable or disable the permission for module the following are the steps to enable “Team-Based Permission” in Sugar
Step 1: Enable Team-Based Permission in Sugar
- Admin Panel ⇒ Team-based Permission
- On Click “Team-based Permissions” you will be navigated to the following screen
- Enable team-based permissions and selecting modules in SugarCRM the following screenshot shows steps to enable team permissions and selecting modules.
Learn about our How to Configure Team Management in SugarCRM with an Example
In Sugar, Role management provides a field-level permission for a created role to a defined security feature for a particular field we want to hide from sales or support users the following are steps to configure field-level permission
- On click profile drop-down and select admin panel
- Admin panel ⇒ Navigate to “Role Management”
- Select any “Role” record form list-view follow the below steps to configure
- The above screenshot shows how to select field level permission access for a particular module
Steps to Configure layouts in SugarCRM
Configure layouts in Sugar using “Role” and team management profiles, In SugarCRM, layouts are created by default we need to define permission for a particular module and set field-level security based on user and role requirements, in this example will see how to configure and set field-level permission
- Login to SugarCRM with Admin access and follow the below steps to navigate to layouts
- Admin Panel ⇒ Studio ⇒ Select (Accounts Module)
- Click on Accounts Module and Select Layouts
- Select layouts as shown in below screenshot
- Note: Role-based views are only accessible for record view layouts
- Select “Record View” as shown in below Screenshot
- The below screenshot shows available “Role” and “Team” In sugar. By click on drop-down, we can set layouts for a specific role or team(Group of users)
- Role layout view is created by default with every role and team when it created and default layout is assigned to it.
- In the below screenshot, we have selected the “sales west” team. After selecting team whatever the changes made it will reflect a group of users whos added to “sales west” team
- We can delete any field or modify the change based on the requirement.
We hope this article is helpful for customizing layouts and to control access of the module to a particular role.
Evaluating SugarCRM for your business – We can help
Reach out to us so that we can assess and plan a road-map for your CRM implementation. Let’s build a system, which you will use for years to come.